Friday, August 8, 2008

My iPhone 3G: 5 Weeks Later ...


It has been 5 weeks since I got my iPhone, and I am really enjoying it. At first I couldn't get used to the touch typing, even-though I used it last year. But after a day or so I was typing with very quick with one finger, and now I am typing with two thumbs with few errors. I thought I would just briefly give my thoughts on some of the features new iPhone 3G.

Battery Life

I find that I have to recharge my phone every two or so. I don't do a lot of talking on my phone because I mostly communicate via text messaging and email. When I do talk for long periods of time the battery lasts for about 6 hours. Even-though the phone uses at&t's 3G network, I still keep my phone on Edge network because the 3G drains too much battery life. I use 3G only when I catch get a wireless signal or when I get less than 3 bars the Edge network.

MobileMe

MobileMe has been a disaster since day one. I have no idea what Apple was thinking when decided to launch this service without fully testing it. In theory, the whole idea is great; but in practice it failed to live up to it's claim. The claim that all your devices would be synced up with "push" technology so when, for example, an email is received all you computers and iPhone connected to MobileMe would get the new message instantly. Yeah ... that didn't happen. Apple later admitted that this was true, and gave users a free month of service. They are still working the kinks out of the system, and hopefully things will be working as advertised in a month or so.

App Store

The App Store is pretty good. There are some good things you can, but right now it is mostly bad. I bought Sega's Super Monkey Ball, and got a couple App for free like Twinkle. I added a Twitter site to my blog and Twinkle allows me to update where ever I am. Like MobileMe, it still has to work out some of the bugs.

Email & Internet

It is very convenient that I can check my email accounts without being in front of a computer and have use of a full keyboard. Since most of my communication takes place via email, it really helps me stay in touch. The full Internet browser makes is easy to search websites. All this comes in handy when you need something right away.

I am glad I got my phone and I ended up getting one for my buddy SuperBlu superboy for his birthday because I liked it so much. I think he cried when I told him about his gift ... but I can't confirm that ... nor will he probably admit to it.

I just recently decided to update my phone to make it stand out more:


I got this M.C. Escher skin from a Canadian store called Gelaskin.com. It was easy to apply and it is removable with any damage to the phone in case I want to change it. I like it for now but eventually I will change for someone else.

Labels: ,

Comments on "My iPhone 3G: 5 Weeks Later ..."

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (August 8, 2008 at 10:38:00 PM CDT) : 

How did you know I cried :-) Thanks for the iPhone its one of the greatest presents I gotten. It's like the whole world is in my hand.

 

You got something to add?