Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Backsplash Install - 2.95 of 3 Completed

Before:

After:

After the grout dried it left a residue on the glass so I spent about an hour cleaning with a non-abrasive scrubbing pad. I thought about using a chemical but I didn't want to deal with a hazardous substance, so I used elbow grease instead. The tiles were gleaming when I finished. After that, I applied a sealer to make it water and stain resistant. When it dried, I caulked the gap in between the granite and tile ... and viola, project completed ... mostly. I need to replace the plastic wall plates for the outlets with a brush nickel version. Hopefully this can be done with having get them custom made.

So that is pretty a wrap on the backsplash project, and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. In total it took about 10 hours, and saved about $500. I can finally cook food now. Yay!

Next project: staining wood bed-side tables. Something else I have never done, but seems easy.

Labels:

Comments on "Backsplash Install - 2.95 of 3 Completed"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (April 21, 2009 at 1:00:00 PM CDT) : 

I'm sure you'll do great on all of those projects - patience! Meanwhile, despite being cheap I am having an estimate done on someone taking care of my (miniscule) yard - laziness is trumping penury in my case! First a cleaning lady, now? ....

 

You got something to add?