Saturday, June 23, 2007

My N-Word Issue

So I was playing tennis with someone I have known for a while. When he said something that did really bother me at first, but I brought it to his attention.

What did he say? He said the n-word, ending with an 'a'. It wasn't directed toward me, but that doesn't really matter. It was said in my presence.

I asked why he dropped the n-bomb, only for him to say that he had black friends so I shouldn't worry about. Really? I told him that didn't matter. Then he said his friend was blacker than me AND he was blacker than me, which was suppose to make it okay. Oh, did I mention that the guy is from Albania? We finished the match and even though I was not happy about the situation and decided to let it drop because I didn't want to make a scene.

I am not sure what to be more offended by: the n-word or the person who uttered the word (who is not black) claims to be more black than I am?

The level of blackness remark hurts the most. Because I don't fit the stereotype of a black male does not make me any less black. I have friends, and hang out with people of all racist, so I have never before had this issue come up. And it really hurts. I don't use the n-word, I don't allow the n-word to be applied to me (by any race), and I just don't tolerate it in general.

I am going to have to pull this guy aside at tennis tomorrow and have chat with him.

Here a clip of Big Brother 8 UK where the n-bomb was dropped:

The Emily was wrong for saying it, and the look on her face immediately afterwards knew it was wrong. Charlie (the black girl) was wrong for applying the word to herself.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "My N-Word Issue"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 25, 2007 at 7:47:00 PM CDT) : 

If I were you, I'd be pissed too. ...and not just because you're black. Anyone who was in earshot should have been pissed and should have let your friend know so. I'm not black, but if I hear ANYONE use any variation of the N-word, I immediately let them know it's not cool.

And for your friend to justify it by saying he's "blacker" than you, reveals an even deeper prejudice. What does it even mean to be "blacker"? That tells me he has a preconceived set of notions of what it means to be black. Isn't that the DEFINITION of prejudice?

 

You got something to add?