Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Is That Ironic?

I have been watching the Tennis Channel enjoying the French Open. There was a commercial for Bullfrog, which is a sunscreen/bug repellent and I figured that I should pick some up because the bugs are eating me alive during tennis. The bugs are really coming out due to all of the rain Dallas has been getting.

Today before work, I headed to Wal-Mart to pick up some Bullfrog. After looking through all of the types I decided not to get it because I figured that mosquitoes weren't bad enough for bug repellent. I ended up getting some Oil Free Coppertone SPF 50 with Broad Spectrum UVA/UBA protection, because even a black people need to protect their skin. I was on the verge of burning a couple of weeks ago because I forgot to put on sunscreen, and that's not good.

I went to the self-checkout register, paid and left the store. I was about 5 feet out the store when a mosquito landed on my neck, and bit me.

Is that ironic?

Well, is it ... because I am not sure if i am apply the word 'ironic' properly. Would is this be more of a coincidence? Thanks to Alanis Morrisette I lost all meaning of the word.

off topic:

Maybe I should ask Marius -- because he is brainy and he loves Alanis. Just kidding ... he hates her. We had a heated exchange about Alanis, but I can't remember where. It was either when we went to the Toronto Gay Pride Parade (pictures) in 2004, or at a Record Theater in Buffalo. I can't remember ... a little help, please?

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Is That Ironic?"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (June 5, 2007 at 3:19:00 PM CDT) : 

I think what happened to you was ironic ... in that you CHOSE not to buy the bug repellent, and then were bitten. Irony is when an occurrence is different than the outcome that might have been expected. The fact that this was a predictable outcome does not detract from its irony. I have no idea where you discussed Alanis with Marius ... but let's face it, too many forks when all you need is a knife is not ironic, it is merely stupid.

 

Blogger Killervirgo said ... (June 5, 2007 at 3:35:00 PM CDT) : 

10,000 spoons were keeping her away from that knife.

How dare you insult a fellow Canadian! You go stand in the corning can sing the Canadian Nation Anthem until your learn from your mistake.

O Canada!

Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

 

Blogger Paul said ... (June 5, 2007 at 9:32:00 PM CDT) : 

I hadn't realized that the Canadian anthem looked quite so silly when written out (I was fully aware that it was silly when sung). But of course, I was born in Montreal, maybe I should be singing the Quebec anthem: Mon pays c'est n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver (my country isn't a country, it is winter) ... How long do I have to stay in this corner?

 

Blogger Marius said ... (June 6, 2007 at 2:13:00 AM CDT) : 

The word irony is often misused by a lot of people. There are different types of irony, but they all seem to have one thing in common: there’s a (huge) difference between what is stated (or said or believed) and what actually happens (i.e., reality).

Also, thanks to you, now all Canadians in the blogosphere are going to hate me. LOL Anyway, I don't hate Alanis. I strongly dislike the old Alanis for various reasons. I dig the new Alanis, though. And I can’t remember where we had that (heated) discussion. I don’t think we had that discussion in Toronto, so it must have occurred in Buffalo. Good times! Right?

 

You got something to add?