Thursday, May 31, 2007

Customer (dis)Service: Chase Bank

Last week while waiting for Charter to call me regarding my appointment, I got a call from Chase Bank. I just got a new credit card from the company the week before and I was being contacted regarding their member services. I listened as they welcomed me and went over my account to make sure everything was correct. It was. After that, it began to get a bit weird.

The customer representative began telling me about these protections plans for my credit card. I've already declined these offers when I initially signed up, so I politely interrupted the rep. during his spiel to let me him know of this. I also requested that I be taken off any and all phone list for any future calls. The rep. to persuade me into getting the plan, which I declined and requested again to remove from any phone lists.

"I am not sure you understand this offer. This is not a cold call. This is for members only.", said the rep.

I understood what he was saying but I still wasn't going to change my mind. I declined the offer yet again.

"You are still not understanding what I am saying ..." said the persistent rep.

I was no longer having this. I firmly, yet calmly, told him that I declined the offer several but I will still being badgered for something I didn't want.

I asked, "do you think this is good customer service?"

He continued with his hard sell, and questioned my comprehension of what he was offering. I grew tired of the conversation. I calmly as possible I told him that since he refused to listen to my requests I will would be ending the call. THE GUY STILL KEPT TALKING! I said goodbye, and hung up the phone.

I am kind of worried now. I never received this kind of bad customer service from Capital One or Bank of America ... and I HATE my Bank of America credit card. In hospital after my car accident, I tried to pay with my BoA credit card only to find out they put a hold on my card. I just paid my in full the week before, but and iTunes charge posted later for $2.15 ... and then put a hold on my card. Luckily, I had my trust Capital One card.

Too bad I have to cancel it because we have been through a lot together. But they refuse to raise my limited, after 4 years and one late payment ... so they got to go -- after I use my points for my $50 Amazon.com gift card. The reasons why I got the Chase Bank card is because I got a $30 discount my TiVo HD, and I am Amazon.com whore and it offers 3 points per dollar on all orders. For every 2500 points they send a $25 Amazon.com gift card.

It should be a great relationship between myself and Chase Bank, but we aren't off to a good start.

Do you have a Chase Bank horror story?

Labels: ,

Comments on "Customer (dis)Service: Chase Bank"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 30, 2007 at 9:00:00 PM CDT) : 

20 year Chase MC customer here. I pay off my balance in full every month. This month, for reasons best known to the USPS, my payment arrived 1 day late. Result: $39 late fee + $28 interest fee. I called Chase, and asked that the $67 in fees be removed. They declined. I told them (true) that I teach marketing at a state university and love to point out bad customer service, to 200 students at a time. They said "we'll live with the possibility that you'll close the account." Guess what -- they're right, I will. And lots of impressionable new credit consumers will also hear about the wonderful Chase Bank...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 25, 2007 at 11:38:00 AM CDT) : 

In August I and my husband went to Italy. In Florence we went to a flea market where people are selling souvenirs, paints, leather stuff, etc. To make the story short, even at flea markets people have merchant accounts, and I tried to use my CHASE CREDIT CARD. The sales man swiped my card several times into the machine without response-(I SAW THE ERROR MESSAGE), so I ended up paying cash.

Now, back from my vacation I got my statement and I got charged for the item I paid cash. I called the "customer service" to dispute that charge. They sent a letter stating that I had to request that on writing either via FAX or MAIL.

I faxed it! Did they take care of my problem? NO, they sent another letter stating this time that I had to request it in writing now via MAIL. HOW STUPID!

I called and now they wanted me to go back to the merchant in Italy and get all my $41.71 credit from them, or get a receipt. Flea markets don't issue receipts; even here in USA don't give receipts. “What about if I couldn’t buy anything because I didn’t have cash on me? I said” customer service responded “that’s another situation”. What the F*** it’s the same thing. I didn’t pay credit for it! You know the answer now. CHASE BANK is not going to reimburse my money.

I am REAL PISSED OFF at CHASE BANK! I have 2 credit cards and a consumer account with them, but they won't have me for that long. I am closing everything! For $41.71, they could have kept a customer that spends a lot more than that and never has been late!!! Their customer service sucks. They don't even try to help you, so if you are thinking CHASE BANK..... THINK TWICE!!

By the way, this was my first time calling them about a dispute or problem!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 6, 2008 at 2:04:00 AM CDT) : 

Chase Bank is terrible! I spoke with a customer representative last month who reversed some charges and said he would bring my APR back to the promotional rate of 0%. He did reverse the charges, but the APR was 9.99% so I had a finance charge of $76. I called them and asked about it. The representative said that the first person went against bank policy by crediting my charges. Then they said they weren't honoring what the representative said about changing the APR even though he is an agent for Chase Bank. I asked to speak to a supervisor who basically said the first person manually made the reversal when he should not have done so. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she said she did not have one. I said, "Are you telling me there is no one higher than you?" She said that she is the account manager and there's no one else for me to talk to. I told her I was going to record the conversation from then on and I said that she is on the record saying there is no one with higher authority than her. She then changed her story and said, "No, that is not what I am saying." All of a sudden, she does have a supervisor, BUT he is "not there at the time." I call back hoping to get a better customer service rep, but I didn't. In a matter of 30 minutes I spoke with several different representatives in Canada, Delaware, Ohio, and Illinois. They even have Chase customer reps in Mumbai and Manila. Basically, Chase has created a bunch of red tape so that they can keep charging you ridiculous charges and have no way for the customer to successfully dispute those charges. Even when someone did credit some charges, they apparently went against "bank policy" so the back just overrides that credit by charging you on the next statement. By the way, the reason there were charges in the first place was because I never received the second statement from them. They blamed in on the post office. Boycott Chase!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 15, 2008 at 3:08:00 PM CDT) : 

Just yesterday I tried to close one of my checking accounts with a Chase Rep at my branch. She said she couldn't do it until all of my charges to the account had cleared. Fair enough...
The next day, I find out she didn't wait for my charges to clear and moved money into my remaining account - thus hitting me with 4 $32 insufficient funds fees! I still don't know whats getting done about it, other than I know the online rep told me she would tag a notice on my account about the matter. I firmly believe in refund at bank error - I refuse to pay over $120 for her mistakes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 20, 2008 at 7:28:00 PM CDT) : 

Chase Customer Service is really awful. I called to ask about one chase credit card that I had problem viewing online. It seemed like such a simple problem which they should be able to fix, but I was transferred 3x. When I got to the third person, he was very curt and obviously trying to get phone as fast as he could. Whenever I asked questions, he kept cutting me off and also starter raising his voice. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he simply said in a rushed and annoyed tone "then wait". I waited and started saying 'hello' because I didn't hear any music and could hear the customer service rep breathing in the background. I thought he forgot to press the mute button or simply forgot about me. AFter saying 'hello' more than 5 times, he said 'please wait, i am documenting your request". After which, he put me on hold for at least 6 minutes. I looked at my digital clock the whole time so I was certain it took that long. During our conversation earlier, he confirmed that he was based in Manila and was working for the outsourcing company People Support. Going back to the story, after waiting for 6 minutes, I got transferred to the 4th person. I asked her if she was a supervisor, and she said no, she is a customer service rep who was based in India.

I am very pissed because after waiting for so long, the customer service rep from Manila did not transfer me to a supervisor, but to another center in INdia. Obviously, he was trying to avoid getting reprimanded for horrible customer service.

My question is this --- is there any way for us regular Joes to complain about terrible customer service without our issues falling on deaf ears?

I called for such a simple/regular problem and had a displeasing encounter.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 4, 2009 at 1:17:00 PM CST) : 

I was a happy WAMU customer and have been a forced Chase customer for 1 week now. I had a dispute that was handled horribly! I cancelled my card after making a reservation on a website that I discovered was fraudulent. The owner was indicted on 22 counts of credit card theft and Chase told me to settle with the merchant! Why the hell would I try to settle something with a company which conducts fraud! They wouldn't listen to a word I said and wouldn't let me file a dispute because apparantely I didn't abide by the FRAUDULENT websites rules. What the hell! I am now a Wells Fargo customer and I love them. Chase is a useless piece of poo company. This would have never happened at WAMU! Chase is a rip off themselves, no customer service.

 

You got something to add?