Thursday, May 17, 2007

Next Top Model: America vs. Australia


So another season of America's Next Top Model (ANTM) has ended, and we have another winner who will never be a real model. Congratulations, Jaslene! I must admit that I didn't watch this past cycle of girls, because I was completely turned off by last cycle's winner CariDee. Melrose got robbed! I have been keeping up with the show by reading Rich's ANTM recaps at FourFour.

For me, the last great cycle of ANTM was cycle 3 when Eva won. I really wanted Yaya to win, but I was happy with Eva winning the final since she took great pictures. But this is when the show jumped the shark. I predicted the winner of cycle 4, but overall it was an alright season. For that point on the show before more and more unwatchable.

It is clear that Tyra(nt) isn't looking for girls who can actually model, but for girls with issues (or babies) that can be exploited for good television. For Tyra, it is about the journey to becoming America's Next Top Model, and not the fact the most of the winner don't have careers after the show. In the land down under it is totally the opposite.

Australia's Next Top Model (AusNTM) are looking for girls who can actually be models ... for reals. If you are too short, not thin enough, or not pretty enough ... then you won't even make it past the compulsory rounds. AusNTM: Series 3 is looking for haute couture models, and not just a spokesperson for cheap cosmetics (read: CoverGirl). They have real photo shoots that could actually go in fashion magazine, and are actually learning about the business of modeling with by people in the business. The show had the editor of Vogue (Australia) magazine give critiques and advice to the contestants.

My favorite is Alice:


Look at her work the runway:


She is a bit too thin, but she is working on trying to gain weight. If she were on ANTM there would be an episode where she is confronted by someone because she is alleged to have an eating disorder, which would lead to a one-on-one with Tyra. On AusNTM why have fitness instructors and nutritionists to help the girls lead health lifestyles.

Until America's Next Top Model has girls on the show that can work in the industry, I will not be tuning in.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Next Top Model: America vs. Australia"

 

Blogger Marius said ... (May 19, 2007 at 1:29:00 PM CDT) : 

Alice is a lovely woman. And I remember Eva. She's so photogenic. I really liked her. I don't really watch America's NTM. I was able to catch one episode of the Australian version, but that's it.

I agree with your comment about Tyra. In general, producers love drama. However, as you mentioned, choosing a girl with issues but not real talent isn’t a good idea. Thank goodness the Aussies figured that out. Great post!

 

You got something to add?