Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bloodshed on BET's College Hill

Since I moved to Dallas I haven't had BET because Charter Cable chooses not to carrier it in my area. When I had BET I was really missing much because the majority of the programs the have are crap. The last good show they had was Video Soul with Donnie Simpson ... and ended in 1997.

I was browsing my favorite blogs when I saw GuyTVBlog posted a recap of a fight that occurred on the BET reality show College Hill: Virgin Islands. I haven't seen this show since cast member Peaches "assaulted" fellow housemate Jon in the second season. Jon was a jerk and totally deserved what he got, in my opinion. Anyway ... this recent fight was over the top and I am kind of mad at BET for showing/promoting this incident.

If you go to the College Hill website on BET.com, this is what you see:

edit: BET has since pulled this image off the website

I was interested in seeing what led up the fight, only to be disappointed by this:


BET + ads for chicken = not the smartest way to avoid stereotypes.

The fight was crazy considering that the people involved in the fight weren't apart of the initial conflict. After the girl fight was broken up, the girl in initiated the fight wound up with a bloody face:


Fighting on television is not new in the post Jerry Springer era, so the slapped (pun intended) on PSA against violence just seemed false to me. The PSA:


Hi. Where the cast of College Hill Season 4. After through that experience we learn a valuable lesson. Eventhough culturally we have different background, we are all the same in the end. Try not to let your emotion get the best of you and to see the situation from the other person's point of view.


Don't let words escalate to the point of disagreement. [What the hell does this even mean? It is not possible to be civil discussion where both parties have opposing views?] We all recognized our role in this situation. When faced with friends fighting, it is best to defuse the situation and not fuel.


Retaliation and anger is never the way to solve problems. Give yourself an opportunity to think before you react. [Yeah, you should that about that before the bloodshed caused by a taking a shoe to the face multiple time] For more information on College Hill Season 4 ... go to BET.com.

My entire issue with BET is that they are trying to have it both ways. I think if your want to show an unedited fight which resulted in bloodshed, while promoting your reality show using that fight ... then you can't really have PSA stating how violence is not the answer. You can't be both the Jerry Springer Show and the Ricki Lake Show at the same time. When a fight broke out on the Ricki Lake Show the footage of the said fight was never shown but in its place was a PSA stating how violence isn't the answer.

First BET: Uncut, now this?!?

I don't know. Am I the only one that feels that BET acted irresponsibly? Or am I being overly sensitive?

Labels:

Comments on "Bloodshed on BET's College Hill"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 18, 2008 at 9:38:00 PM CST) : 

Fuck you, Asshole.

 

You got something to add?