Monday, April 9, 2007

Movies: Blades of Glory & Grindhouse

Blades of Glory

Let me say this ... I am not the biggest fan of Will Ferrell, but the movie looked interesting and I was on the fence about seeing. It wasn't until I saw this picture that I knew I had to see it:


I have a big crush Will Arnett and I have liked Amy Poehler since her Upright Citizen Brigade days, so the picture above compelled me to see this movie. Alas, the movie was not good. There were a few good jokes, but they were few and far between. Anything with Amy and Will was hilarious but everything else fell flat. I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie in the theaters.

Grindhouse


This movie was awesome. I was expecting to leave the theater at some point during the 191 minute movie, but I couldn't leave because I didn't want to miss anything. The faux trailer for "Machete" (which may actually become a real movie), Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror" starring my other crush Freddie Rodriguez, the faux movie trailers, and Quentin Tarantino's "Deathproof" were just a spot on throwback to the exploitation movies of the late 60's and 70's. In both films I loved the uses of bad continuity, missing reels, and poor lighting found in most B-movies.

But which movie is better?

The movies complement each together well, but for me, I think I like Tarantino's "Deathproof" a bit more than Rodriguez's "Planet Terror". There is far less action in his film, but there is more character development and great Tarantino dialogue to enjoy which all builds up to a great car chase scene.

These movies are best enjoyed on the big screen. It is a must see.

Labels:

Comments on "Movies: Blades of Glory & Grindhouse"

 

You got something to add?