Thursday, April 12, 2007

Movies: Hot Fuzz


This past Tuesday, I had a free ticket for a preview screening of the movie Hot Fuzz.

I was looking forward to seeing this movie since I really enjoyed Shaun of the Dead. When I went to go see Grindhouse this past Saturday, I saw that they were giving away free passes and I grabbed a bunch to distribute to some of my friends. Sadly, I was the only person who attended the screening because it conflict with my tennis club's play session.

I arrived at the theater 30 minutes early and the it was packed. When I went to look for seats, there was nothing left but seats in the first and second rows from the scene. At first I was not happy, but when I sat in my chair (located in the second row on the left-hand side) I found that my view of screen was actually rather good. The only trouble I had started when I decided to be a nice guy when I moved over a seat to allow a couple to sit together. I regretted my decision 10 seconds later.

THEY WOULDN'T. STOP. TALKING!

She was a purported screen writer, and her companion (husband? boyfriend? friend?) was an alleged actor. I swear, I never wanted to chastise anyone in a theater for talking before more than these two. The movie was so good, that I decided to not make a scene.

Hot Fuzz is a lot of things, and dull isn't one of them. It's a cop drama-action-mystery/whodunit comedy ... if that makes any senses. My favorite thing(s) about the movie is how mundane tasks are give a sense of heightened drama to them. The opening a dooring is done in a fast-zooming camera motion accompanied by a swooping, bass filled sound effect. It's hard to described, because I am horrible writer, but if you have seen Shaun of the Dead then you know what I am getting at. If you haven't seen Shaun of the Dead, rent it immediately.

If the movie is in your city on April 20th I recommend that you see it.

Labels:

Comments on "Movies: Hot Fuzz"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (April 12, 2007 at 8:32:00 PM CDT) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Paul said ... (April 12, 2007 at 8:33:00 PM CDT) : 

Thanks for the advice! I liked Shaun of the Dead too. I will see this (assuming it comes to Canada, you know how backward we are!)

 

You got something to add?