Friday, August 31, 2007

US Open 2007: On Court Fashions

With the US Open now a few days old, most of the players have debuted their latest on-courts fashions.

Roger Federer rocked his all black looked for his first evening match of the tournament. This is the first time I have seen Roger wear black, and he looked good. His shorts were like a tuxedo pant with the satin strip down the side.


He always seems to look classy when he is on the court. Everything is fitted with no excess material flapping in the breeze. I heard a rumor that there is a jacket to go along with look, but I think that would have been overkill. To top off his look he has a black patent leather bags.


I, personally, wouldn't rock the bag, but I would definitely wear everything else he wore. I think I will have to rethink my outfit for an upcoming tournament.

Serena Williams is keeping it simple this year with a black dress with a hot pink strip around the bust line.

I think she just saw what Bethanie Mattek was wearing. (see below)

It this is very demure look for Serena ... remember the cat suit? I was loving the outfit until I saw that Ana Ivanovic were almost the same thing at the 2007 French Open.


The design of the outfit is a bit different, but the hot pink stripe makes it too similar. Serena hasn't debuted her day outfit yet because she had two night matches. I wondering if will be a pair of shorts.

Speaking of shorts, Venus Williams has been wearing her own line of tennis clothing called eleVen from Steve and Barry's.


Her day outfit consists of a pair of short-shorts, with a fitted polo with poofy (I don't know actual fashion term for it) sleeves. I like it because she has the body for it. The night outfit, on the other hand, I am not liking so much.


When I first saw it, I thought it was two pieces, then I realized it was just one piece. It looks like a throwback to the 70s Women's Virginia Slims Tour.


I loved the Diane von Furstenberg designs for Reebok Venus wore in 2003 and 2004. I like the color, but not the outfit. Hopefully, there will be another night outfit to make me forget about this one.

Maria Shriek Sharapova debuted "the red dress" (coral, actually) this past Tuesday.


It's okay. I don't love it, but I don't hate either. The Swarovski crystals seem to be a bit too much. What I REALLY hated about the outfit was the jacket she had the nerve to wear.


Sheer sleeves? ... really!?!? What the hell were you thinking? But at least she can take solace in knowing that she wasn't the worst dressed person playing.

That honor goes to Bethanie Mattek:


Really?!?! Gold lamé??? I seriously have no words.

Finally, what's with all the guys wearing the same Nike outfit?






Donald Young, Feliciano Lopez, Max Mirnyi, Tomas Berdych, John Isner, Frank Dancevic and Nicolas Devilder all forgot to call one another before deciding on what to wear.

How embarrassing.

Sources: AP Images, www.dvf.com, downthelinetennis.com, Yahoo! Sports

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "US Open 2007: On Court Fashions"

 

You got something to add?