Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tennis Tournament: Dallas, TX

This past weekend I took part in a non-USTA sanctioned tennis tournament in order practice. There was only three people in my division and so we played a round robin match format.

First match: Won 6-2, 7-5

I should have won the second set 6-2, but I lost focus while up 4-1 and then lost the next 3 games. I have a tendency to think the match is over and become less aggressive, and I end up losing a couple a games because I get my focus back. I found my serve and the rest of my game and I won. I really didn't want to play a 3rd set tie-breaking because I don't have a good track record in those.

Second match: Lost 5-7, 7-6(5), 8-10 (super tie-breaker)

I was totally off my game during this match. It lasted 2 hours and 35 minutes but the match should have been much shorter. The first set I was serving 5-3, and I lost the next four games. The second set I was serving 5-4 and and was broken. I completely lost focus but I managed to say in the set and win to take it to a 3rd set super tie-breaker. I was down 1-5 but I rallied to 8-9 and I lost the game point on a bad forehand.

It was a good match and I had fun, but I squandered many opportunities to win the match. It was a learning experience and I think I now know what I need to improve on for my next tournament. I have a stay aggressive until the end of the game. Once I think I got the match won, it is over.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Tennis Tournament: Dallas, TX"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (April 10, 2008 at 7:41:00 PM CDT) : 

A 2.5 hour match? wow! That would be hard to keep your concentration throughout - congrats on the great results, and best of luck on the next one! Paul.

 

You got something to add?