Saturday, February 16, 2008

Biopsy

I couple of weeks ago, I was at the Marrying Guy's house and he persuaded me to get to get into his hot tub. I was against it because I am not a hot tub type of guy. I like saunas, but he didn't have one of those. After some cajoling, I decided to get in, against my better judgment.

Four weeks later ...

I went to a dermatologist because I started to develop a weird rash a couple of days after being in the hot tub. It started on my left shoulder, and now it is all on my torso and back. It is not horrible, but it just won't go away.

The dermatologist I first went to didn't know what it was and wanted to do a biopsy. I was not about to let some guy cut my skin off. Especially since he had a framed certificate from the American Board of Dermatology which expired in 2002. When I arrive back home I called another dermatologist at UT Southwestern and I was able to get an appointment for the same day 20 minutes later. I ran out the door and arrived for my appointment just in the nick of time.

Filled out forms, waited in lobby for 15 minutes before the nurse brought me to the examination room, waited 35 minutes before being seen by the resident dermatologist.

He looked me over and gave me a more through examination than the first doctor I saw. He presented his ideas to the doctor, who was wearing a leather jacket (?) and they both weren't sure what I had. Which was great, and frightening. I told them about the hot tub and they thought it was the cause but they needed to do a biopsy to be sure.

I was prepped, and had Lidocaine injected in the part of the skin that was going to be removed. Ten minutes later, the doctor cutting my skin off. I was unable to see the skin as it was being cut off, but seeing the doctor's hands cut me while feeing no pain was very odd. My wound was stitched up, and I giving a prescription for Cipro just in case what I got was a bacterial infection.

I go back next week to get my lab results, and hopefully I will have a definitive answer regarding what I have. Meanwhile, I am half way through my Cipro and I haven't experienced any of the bad side effects (knock wood). Until then...

...I wait.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Biopsy"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (February 17, 2008 at 12:28:00 PM CST) : 

Hi Killervirgo - I hope that the rash is not serious - but don't let this be a lesson to you - most hot tubs (like pools) are treated I'm sure - so go ahead and take the plunge!

 

You got something to add?