Thursday, January 24, 2008

1.23: You're Fired

Yesterday was the worst days of my professional career. My company had layoffs, and it affect affect about 40% of the employees. I am still emotionally drained from the experience and I am just trying to make it through the week. Here were my thought yesterday using excerpts of an email I sent to a friend:

Monday: A company wide email was send with 18 retail and 3 manufacturing plant closings, and that is when I had a feeling that we would loss someone. My gut told me it was [a co-worker] because his region was hardest hit, but I figured we could reconfigure the regions and things would be well.

Tuesday: I was informed that there would be 40% (which I thought was 40 people) layoffs on Wednesday in advance of our corporate meeting. I was assured I was safe, but still didn't really think it would affect [my team].

Today: I got in this morning and [a co-worker] let me know that he was going home. I thought he was going home sick, but I looked down and saw an empty box at the floor for his belongings. I was in shock and disbelief. I check the other [team members] and saw he was the only person let go, and then I became angry. I asked to speak with my super. to ask why [this co-worker] was leaving and not this other guy, which I was informed that the other guy was leaving as well. I was gutted, because I had no idea that two people were leaving. After all this, seeing people in close door meetings with their supers and getting the bad news made me a bit ill.

I've never witness someone having to pack their belongings after being asked to leave. Especially when you are one of the "lucky" ones who still employed. I felt guilty because I tried to reassure the co-worker that everything would be fine, and it wasn't. Strangely enough I got a call the day before layoffs from a staffing company asking if I knew anyone looking for a position. Coincidence? No, because several other people received the same call. I forwarded the information to the laid off co-worker and we shook hands before he headed out the other door. Hopefully he won't be out of work for long.

I am still a bit out of sorts and nothing will make sense until a few weeks. We have to restructure our entire team and I am not sure how this will happen.

Right now, I am just waiting for the dust to settle.

Labels:

Comments on "1.23: You're Fired"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (January 24, 2008 at 3:24:00 PM CST) : 

Downsizing just sounds like a business word until it affects people we know. Everytime we hear about lay-offs and 'restructuring', we have to remember that these affect real people, even when we don't know them personally. I'm with you in hoping that others at your work find new positions quickly, I hope too that your restructuring is successful and that things work out well for you! Good luck!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 25, 2008 at 1:39:00 PM CST) : 

One of your Project Runway fans here -- sending you and your co-workers and - especially - former co-workers love. God, that's tough.

 

Blogger Marius said ... (January 26, 2008 at 9:17:00 PM CST) : 

I agree with Paul. The terrible thing about living in a capitalist society is the dehumanization of business. It's all about the bottom line. People are often treated as expendable resources.

Anyway, I hope you start feeling better soon. Best wishes, Killer Virgo.

 

You got something to add?