Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Illogical Mike Huckabee

I watched Mike Huckabee's interview on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and I have to say that I don't get Huckabee's logic. Watch the interview:


Huckabee seems to be boil things down to its simplest form to make his arguments. He is against the bailout of the automakers in US because he doesn't want congress making cars, even though Congress is only lending money and not taking part in the design or manufacturing process. But what really gets me is that he thinks same-sex marriage should not be allowed because anatomically it doesn't make sense and marriage should used to make the next generation.

Seriously?

So is he against abortion because it doesn't allow the propagation of the humans? If that is the case, then he should for all for same-sex marriage and gay adoption. Here's why: a same-sex couple is not capable of having children "naturally" so there will never been the need for an abortion; a fetus that would have been aborted could be adopted by a same-sex couple or gay person thereby making Pro-Lifers happy and creating the next generation. Everyone wins ... right?

Huckabee also tries to make the argument that since he's against same-sex marriage, doesn't mean he is homophobic. But to me, this is the equivalent of saying, "I am not a racist, but I don't want Black people living in my neighborhood." It could have been worst -- he could have said that he's not homophobic because he has a gay best friend.

The heart of the same-sex marriage debates is the use of the word 'marriage'. I feel that if we just change the wording and just called Civil Unions, and it gave all the rights of marriage on the the state and federal level, what is the big deal?I know it may feel like it's a separate but equal way of thinking, but when is anything really equal?

Mike Huckabee on the show to talk about his book which, by his own admission, is about how you should treat people the way you would like to be treated. I think he should make an addendum stating this only applies to those who believe in what I do ... because this is what his words imply.

Anyway ... I will get off my soapbox now.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "The Illogical Mike Huckabee"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (December 10, 2008 at 9:24:00 PM CST) : 

Thanks for the outline of the interview, because the hulu actual interview is not available outside of the United States (I'm closer to NYC than you are, but that doesn't matter I guess) ... interesting comments ....

 

You got something to add?