Wednesday, January 28, 2009

ICE STORM!!

When the cold weather comes to Dallas, I still find it odd that people just freak out. I am becoming one of those people.

Being that I lived most of my life in Central and Western New York, I am not to snow/sleet/ice. I get freak out because people down here do not know how to handle the conditions. Where I am from, when a snow/sleet/ice storm is brewing, the salt truck are out preparing the road ahead of time so everyone can go about their daily routines. I just got to work about 15 minutes because the sun came out and melted the ice on the roads. I worked this morning from home but I had to go to the office because I was a bit too comfortable and about to fall asleep. I hopped on the tollway and people were driving like 25 mph on water. I know people need to take precautions, but that's ridiculous. I made it to the parking garage for my office building, and that's where the fun began.

The entrance gate was still completely iced over because no one de-iced the asphalt. They finally decided to put salt down when a car ahead of me was unable to stop crashed into security gate, completely ripping it off its mount. I hit my brakes, sliding a couple of feet before my ABS kicked in, bringing me to a complete stop. When the debris was cleared and the car ahead pulled into the garage. The garage attendants gestured to me that I could come forward, but I knew better. I gestured back that I wasn't going until the rest of the asphalt was properly salted. After a good layer of salt was laid, I slowly pulled forward into the parking garage ... before I was stopped:

"You need to swipe your card."
The gate was completely ripped off, and I still need to swipe?

I completely passed the swipe station so I handed my card to the attendant, and he swiped my card.

It will be probably 70 degrees tomorrow and I can go play some tennis. Living in Dallas does have its advantages.

Labels:

Comments on "ICE STORM!!"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (January 28, 2009 at 12:43:00 PM CST) : 

I know, I know - the weather is better in Dallas than Toronto - we are getting a good whack of snow today - but it is beautiful, I will have a fire in the fireplace tonight, listen to children skating at the park, maybe go tobogganing, AND the city will have shoveled my sidewalk by the time I get home! (actually, I'm just jealous ... but I thought I would put a plug in for us poor northeners! Enjoy the 70's before it's 110 in the summer!

 

Blogger Killervirgo said ... (January 28, 2009 at 12:50:00 PM CST) : 

I really don't mind the 90+ weather down there. I would prefer to play tennis in hot weather. I think at some point I will make my way back to the east coast to settle.

 

You got something to add?