Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Television: Confession Tour - Live in London

[source: Madonna Tribe]

NBC has aired the show and I had to sit at home to watch it. I wanted to see in HD and I don't have an HD TiVo .... yet, so I endure all the commercials in between songs. I rarely watch live television so I forgotten how tedious commercials are.

The tour was filmed beautifully but there were too many MTV jumpcuts. I hate when shows are edited to appeal to those with ADD. I felt I was going to go into convulsions during the first 15 minutes with all the flashing go on. The audio seemed to be remixed because it sounded different than what was played live, but it was good.

The Good

"Let It Will Be" was the best edited song of the night. It is one of my favorites performances from the tour and I am glad it wasn't ruined.

The Bad

The show is two hours when performed live, so things were bound to get cut for time. What got cut:
  • Like A Virgin (outro)
  • Jump (Intro)
  • SORRY REMIX (interlude)
    • I knew this was going because it is VERY anti-Bush.
  • Drowned World (Substitute For Love)
  • Paradise (Not For Me)
    • I was surprised to see this get cut because it is one of her better live performances from the tour.
  • Lucky Star
    • Shocked to see this get cut, mostly because the song flows into the finale song "Hung Up". There is an 1:30 second costume change into with good visuals, but it was all cut.
Final thoughts

Even with all of NBC's butchering it was still a good concert special. It should have aired on HBO or Showtime in order to avoid all the editing. The show will be shown all over the world and I am pretty sure they will all have different versions. It airs on Sunday in England, so I will have to download this version from the 'net to compare.

Labels: ,