Monday, November 26, 2007

Black Friday 2007: The Blackening

After a successfully Black Friday haul last year, I was looking forward to doing it again this year. There was a major problem -- nothing good on sale. That didn't initially deter me because I thought I could at least pick up some cheap DVDs to add to my collection.

Instead of sleeping and waking up early, I decided to stay up the entire night. I made it until 4:15am and then had second thoughts about going to Circuit City, which opened at 5am. For what they were offering it wasn't worth the hassle, and I went to bed.

Around 11am, I decided to head out to Target to see what they had to offer. I picked up some 25 pack of DVD-Rs for $4.99, along with some other household items. I looked for the Transformer Bumblebee action figure for my nephew, but they were all sold-out. I paid for the items in my cart and then headed to the next store on my list ... the Apple Store.

I went the Apple Store in the Knox-Henderson area instead of the North Park Mall location because I wanted to stay clear of all malls. The only draw back was limited parking. After circling the block I finally found spot close to the store.

The store was packed, but it was manageable. I wanted to get the new Aluminum (5th Generation) iMac, but I was waiting until Mac OS X Leopard was release. I know I wanted the 20" model, but I don't think I could handle the 24", but I wasn't sure which video card I wanted. I opted for the relatively lower quality 128MB video card. I waited, and waited for one of the Apple "Geniuses" to help me but no one was willing to help me. I guess they thought I was just a person browsing so went off to help people who looked like buyers (i.e. white older couples with or without children). Oh, did I mention that I was one of two black people in this store? The other black guy was the security guard. I finally grabbed a "genius" and asked him a series of questions, to which he had no answer. While annoyed I knew what I wanted but needed some validation in my choice. I got a sales person, a lovely woman who was very helpful, who answered my questions and rung up my sale all within 5 minutes. That's what I call service.


I've been playing around with it for a couple of days, and I really like it. I now have two LCD monitors left over from my old Windows machine. I may keep one and send the other to my mom because she wanted a LCD monitor. Since I can remotely operate my Windows machine from the iMac so there is no need for the LCDs.

Sidenote: I am really turning into a Apple person, aren't I. I never thought I would be this person, but they make great products.

All I have to do is get some more RAM (2 or 3 Gigabytes) and I will be all set.

Sadly, in order to help fund the purchase of my Apple iMac I had to part with something that took a lot of will power and stamina to get ...



... my Nintendo Wii.

I put in ad on Craigslist last Monday and within an hour I had 5 offers. One guy made an offer and backed out the last minute, so I ended up selling it to the woman in Arlington. It was my first experience with Craigslist, and it was a very pleasant one. The woman paid me via Paypal and I shipped the Wii and its accessories to her. Based on this transactions, I will thinking about selling more things on Craigslist.

I've been thinking about selling my Wii for a while now because I've only played it a couple of times. I am not the gaming I used to be. I remember the good old days of NES/SNES/Genesis when I didn't have a job and was able to play as long as I wanted to.

I guess we all have to grow up ... eventually.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Black Friday 2007: The Blackening"

 

You got something to add?