Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Project Runway 4 - Episode 1


Hello lovers of a show called Project Runway. The show has returned for its fourth season with a new crop of designers looking to be the "next big thing". I am not sure whether they want to be clothing designers or "stars" of a reality show, but lets sit back, and enjoy the ride to the finale that is Olympic Fashion Week.

I was a bit torn on about recapping Project Runway again, mostly due to all of the competing blogs. Rich of FourFour has decided not to do his genius recaps the current season, and my buddy Marius is trying to out shine me with his recaps (step off, bitch!) -- so I decided to give it a go once again. I am trying mix things up a but by adding more of a multimedia element with pictures, audio and video. I hard to explain this show with only words and it will allow me to hone my Adobe Photoshop skills. So hopefully things won't become too cumbersome or else I ditching it.

So ..

"Are we ready? I am." (Do you what song has this line? - see below)*

Episode 1 - Sew Us What You Can Do!

The Challenge:

Make an outfit that expresses who you are as a designer

The beginning of the challenge is really arbitrary. Why make the designers run across the field for fabrics?


While everyone else is have first grab a the fabrics,


Chris is still about 4 hours away.



Ricky is the new Andrae (PR2). When does he find time to make clothes with all the crying he does?


It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes of Project Runway uttered by Zulema (PR2):

"I don't care if you cry and cut. But got to cry and cut. You got to cut at the rate. Do whatever you need to do, but you need to work. Don't stop and cry."

It is harsh, but it is true. But in all honesty, I would cry too if I were wearing a hat similar to Paula Abdul circa "Cold Hearted Snake".


I am going to keep a cry count of Ricky a la Rich's ANTM recaps.

Ricky was a whore (his words),


but I think he meant he hoarder by taking more than he needed, and the crazy beginnings of Elisa started to show when she rubbed fine silk chiffon on the grass.


But oddly, this is relatively sane compared to things she has and will do in the progression of the show.

I think there should have been a penalty of some sort for taking more than you needed. Like you have to use each piece of fabric in your design, or you have to used all the fabric you took for the next 3 projects. You know, something.


I find Christian to be the young eccentric who apparent worked with Alexander McQueen and Vivian Westwood while at design school in London. Interestingly enough he never mentions in what capacity he worked with these legendary designers, or if he actually finished school. He was accepted, so I guess that qualifies him to be a freelance designer. I am just sayin'.

The Tresemmé Hair Salon and L'Oreal Paris Make-up Room has made a new friend:


The Bluefly.com Accessories Wall.


So the show finally got the hint that no winner wants to do a mentor-ship with Macy's and Banana Republic that they decided to have to winner sell their collections on Bluefly.com. Which is a better deal in the long run considering that there will be no start-up cost with the $100,000 prize by Tresemmé.

Can I order Kevin through Bluefly.com? I know he is straight, but he needs to get used to being fondled by men if he wants to make in the fashion industry.

Results:

Winner: Rami, Auf'd: Simone, My Fav: Christian



Jeez, I wonder why Rami won? This show is the gayest thing on Bravo since Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, so they have to keep the beefcake on the show ... and the dress isn't bad at all.

To quote Christian:

"...I do think that he did a piece that SO many designers do."


Jealousy or a keen observation?

While I am on the subject of Rami, why in the hell is even on this show? He has his on boutique, designed a dress for Jessica Alba, and even appeared on the Tyra Banks Show to show his collection.


Has Project Runway decided to looked for a designer who could actually make some money. The only successfully winner was Chloe Dao. I really liked PR1 winner Jay McCarroll's collection, but he hasn't done much lately.

So the season has gotten off to an okay start, but I am absolutely loving Iman as host of Project Runway Canada. I'm kind of torn between the original and the superior re-incarnation. Luckily I don't have to make a choice between the two ... yet.

Astute Observation by Heidi Klum:

"Her model look like she was pooing fabric. (refering to Elisa)"



LOLZ for everyone, except for Monique Lhuillier. You know she was not a pleased with low-class assessment of fashion, hence her missing reaction shot.

Episode 2 recap tomorrow ... hopefully.

------

Ricky cry count tally: 2

* - "Control" by Janet Jackson

Labels: ,

Comments on "Project Runway 4 - Episode 1"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (November 27, 2007 at 9:04:00 AM CST) : 

Hey - nice to have you back - 2 entries in 2 days! And long entries! But, for those of us who are naive ... what is a blog reaction rather than a comment?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 1, 2007 at 10:47:00 AM CST) : 

I love finding good blogs about my favorite show!!!!! And yours is quite stellar! I have to agree with your consternation of PR Canada versus the new season. I find that although I enjoy Heidi very much, I lurve Iman and her evil queen mannerisms. I also think PRC has the better designers, at least so far. Keep up the good work!!!! (And keep the yummy pics of Kevin coming.)

 

You got something to add?