Friday, November 30, 2007

Project Runway 4 - Episode 3

Episode 3: Fashion Giant

So how do I begin this recap? I know:


How about some shirtless Kevin. You're welcome!

This episode of Project Runway was kind of dull because the challenge was about menswear. Heidi lauded this challenge as a first for project runway, but I don't understand why. Yes, it is the first time they worked with male models, but this is not the first time the designers worked with menswear or had males walk down the runway. Let me refresh your memories:


The Challenge:

Design a menswear outfit for Tiki Barber

The build up was kind of a let down, but I was nice to see the designers work out of their comfort zone. The special guest was Tiki Barber, which explains the menwear angle of this episode. So we go from "pop culture and fashion icon" Sarah Jessica Parker to a football player who is now a correspondent for the Today Show? Since Bravo and NBC are both NBC Universal companies that this is just corporate synergy at work. It may not be a bad idea to cross-promote consider when Tim announced Tiki Barber the only person who recognized who he was was Kevin.


Probably because he is a NY Giants fan ... and straight. From the look on Victorya's face, she got an eyeful of Tiki and liked what she saw:


But she may want to watch her back:


Ginny Barber may destroy her. I am just sayin'. According to Christian:

"... I love Asians. Asians are fierce!"

I think he meant "fierce" in the Tyra Banks American's Next Top Model sense, and not that in the menacingly wild or savage way. But whatever he says is always subject to interpretation.

Okay, let's talk about Jack. I didn't want to lead with this I thought it would off-putting but needs to be mentioned. But the shirtless picture may make the transition a bit smoother:


In the beginning of the episode, it has finally been revealed on the show that Jack is HIV positive. It hard to tell if everyone on the show knows, but it probably safe to assume that his roommates know because he seems pretty open with his pill taking. This is the first HIV positive designer on Project Runway, but not it's not a first for a Bravo reality show. John from Top Desgin was the first HIV positive contestant that I am aware of (correct me if I am wrong), and if you've know the spoilers, then you know then end up with similar fates.

In a weird juxtaposition, Jack is shown carrying Christian in a handbag.


Maybe the producers and/or Jack want to show the audience that he is still a strong, virile guy, despite his HIV. Or maybe Christian just lazy.


I think it probably a little of both.

There was a bit of drama while at Parsons. Jack asked Tim whether he could take his shorts off ... and before he could finish Tim instinctively said he could. Okay, that didn't happen, but with the right editing it could. Jack want to take off his shorts to use them as a pattern. He did,


and several people then wanted to borrow his pattern to design their pants. I don't see a problem with this considering that Vincent did the same thing during season 2:

still from season 3 coming soon

Rami was not pleased, and in an act of defiance, he flaunted the pants he made with the use of draping.

"And they aren't trace from a pattern, like some other pants. I am not accusing anyone ... I am just saying some did."


That side-eye is vicious, y'all.

Now it's time for a melange of male models:



The models are pretty obedient. They are told to take of their clothes and they offer no resistance.

Even while being fisted

The designers where were assigned male models, but for some reason they were not given their measurements. I think the producers of the show were just being sadistic by withholding this information. The stress of it caused Jillian to get all verklempt:


Back at their apartments, they are all trying to find ways to deal with the stress:


I guess the guys don't deal with stress as well as the women:

PMA = Positive Mental Attitude

This reaks of the new age-y-ness that is Elisa.

The results:

Winner: Jack, Auf'd: Carmen, My fav: Kevin

I really don't understand how Jack won this challenge. This shirt with the front and pocket stripes on the bias, just looks strange to me. I liked Kevin's pieces but the look is too young for a TV anchor, so I understand why he didn't win. Tiki mentioned that the look was "avant-garde", which is I guess something you can't have when hosting hour 12 of the Today Show.

The most shocking moment:


Ricky only cried once! In a hat that he stole from Colonial Williamsburg:


He only cried out of relief after avoiding being auf'd by Heidi for a mess of an outfit. Now, Ricky -- don't go all dry eyes on me because I use your tears as sustenance. I wouldn't have the energy to do these recaps if weren't for the tears that copiously flow from your eyes. Luckily, I have built up a surplus. But Ricky, you must promise me two things:

1) Cry at least twice per episode.
2) Never wear those manpris again:


They cause me physical pain, and Nina Garcia does not approve.


You know you messed up when Nina is giving you the "head shake of disapproval" and "the middle finger" combo.

And for no reason at all, I give you this:


Kevin channeling his inner Wolverine. Why are all the good men straight or Republican senators?
___

Ricky Cry tally: 7

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Project Runway 4 - Episode 3"

 

Blogger LauraK said ... (December 2, 2007 at 1:41:00 PM CST) : 

Fabulous recap! Thanks so much for doing this. I love it.

 

Blogger Marius said ... (December 4, 2007 at 4:24:00 PM CST) : 

I love male models. And your screen caps totally rock. I look forward to your next recap. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 6, 2007 at 4:42:00 PM CST) : 

Nice recap, thanks for the pix of Kevin. Glad to see I'm not the only one that finds him hot. May I make a request? In your recap of last night's episode (Dec. 5), pleeeeease run a cap or two of Kevin getting dressed...love that view of his chest. Rrrrroww!! Great blog, keep it up.

 

You got something to add?