Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Service With Smiles

I went to Kiehl's the other day after getting back from the gym. I got to shop at 7:02pm only to find out they closed at 7:00pm. I saw the cashiers at the registered and tried to open the doors -- which were locked. I turned away and headed back to the care, when I heard one of the cashiers open the doors and invited me in. With her convivial attitude, she pointed me to the direction of the item I sought and made sure that it was the item I wanted. At the register, I paid for my item and she overloaded me with free samples. I said goodbye and thanked her for opening the store after closing time then walked to the Tom Thumb nearby.

At Tom Thumb, I noticed that I was being watched by the cashiers. After getting my cheddar cheese and tortilla chips for the taco salad I planned on preparing, I headed to the checkout line. While the male cashier scanned my items, he said:

"Sorry that we are all staring at you, but we never seen a black man shop at this store."

The Kiehl's and the Tom Thumb are both located in Highland Park Village, which is located a wealthy area of Dallas known as Highland Park. There aren't very many minorities living this area. This cashier and all the others were black, and we all laughed because his statement was probably true.

Labels:

Comments on "Service With Smiles"

 

You got something to add?