Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Movies: Dreamgirls

Since I saw the teaser trailer online last year I knew it was movie a had to see. Maybe my affinity for girl groups in the 60s fueled my desire to see Dreamgirls or the fact the Usher was no longer in the film. Either way I think it was worth the wait.


I got the theater about 30 minutes early only to see that the AMC parking garage was empty. It seemed odd to me but I just figured that since it was Christmas morning the showing would sparsely attended. It took a couple of minutes to realize that I was at the wrong entrance and I had to go to the main entrance to get into the theater. It would have been nice to put that information on the locked doors. We get into the theater and fortunately I had to foresight to purchase the tickets the night before because it was packed. I got seat way in the back because I like have the entire screen in view so I don't have to turn my head. Yes, I am that lazy. The lights dimmed and the film started to roll.

I am not going to give a full review of the movie but I give some of my personal highlights on some of the actors.


Beyonce Knowles: I am confused by all the negative reviews she received. She did a good job with material that was given to her. During the film you can see a progression from girl to woman to superstar. The only issue I have it that she being billed as the lead actress in the movie and she only has like 15 lines in the film. But she did a good job in the performances and is basically Diana Ross in some of them. Her hopes of winning an Oscar/Gloden Globe for her performance seems slim, but she did a good job.

Jennifer Hudson: Amazing! The minute she walked on the screen the other girls faded into the background. I think the hype about her performance was deserved because the movies is basically about her character Effie. The theater erupted in applause twice after her "And I Am Telling You" and "I Am Changing" performances. Beyonce sort of gotten some applause after her "Listen" performance, but it was like 5 people. Ouch.

As a Supporting Actress I think she is a lock for the Golden Globe award but I think she will be robbed of an Oscar to Dame Judy Dench (assuming she is nominated). If she continues with a movie career she should just do dramatic roles, and stay away from parts where she has to sing to avoid being type casted.


Eddie Murphy: Another amazing performance. I was surprised how good he was in his James Brown/Marvin Gaye character James 'Thunder' Early. I knew Eddie could sing but he was sounded really good in the movie. The people in the theater just loved it when he performed.

Jamie Foxx: He didn't have much to do except be stoic, which he did well. It is nice to see him "normal" instead of over-the-top. But his character is basically used as the bad guy to advance the movie's plot.


The movie has some continuity problems but it was still really good. I liked how the songs integrated themselves in the movie. I am not sure if that is due to the writers of the play, or to the writing and directing of Bill Condon. Everything seemed to fit without it being extraneous.

I will have to see it again this weekend as well as the 5 other movies I haven't had the chance to see. This is a movie worth watching again in the theaters ... but at a matinée price.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Movies: Dreamgirls"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 28, 2006 at 7:57:00 PM CST) : 

movie was good. yea we were all appluading Jennifer Hudson after she performed I'm not Going. I cried. She is the star of this film. American Idol is feeling really shitted on right now i'm sure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (December 30, 2006 at 5:00:00 PM CST) : 

Jennifer Hudson was awesome. I went to see the movie again just to hear her sing "I am telling you". Not sure though why she is not being billed as main actress. I hope to see more of her in the movies in years to come.

Eddie Murphy is the best he has been in years. Go Eddie!!

 

You got something to add?