Thursday, February 8, 2007

Killervirgo's Book Club: Venus Envy

The last time I completed a book was 3 years ago and that was "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. After reading "The Da Vinci Code" I got all he books and read them all except for "Deception Point". I have been reading "Deception Point" on and off for 3 years but never has been able to finish it. I will put it on the list for next month ... but this month's book is "Venus Envy" by L. Jon Wertheim.

source: amazon.com

"Venus Envy" gives the reader a peek behind the curtain of the Women's Tennis Association, in the process it dishes a lot dirt about some the top players. The book revolves heavily around the Venus and Serena Williams and their family's ups and downs on and off the court, the sister's relationship, and how all the players hate them. I got the book on Monday and I am almost half through it. If you like tennis, I think this is a good read. Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book thus far:

Even the outgoing message on [Richard Williams'] answering machine are newsworthy. One message several years ago said: "There are those that ask me what I think of intermarriage. Anyone that's marrying outside of this race that's black should be hung by their necks at sundown. Please leave a message."

Richard Williams if freakin' crazy! I laughed out loud when I read that passage because it is so absurdly funny.

I got a used a used copy from Amazon Marketplace for $3.50, which includes shipping. It is like eBay but you don't to bid on items.

If you like tennis, crazy people, the Williams sisters, and gossip ... I would recommend this book.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Killervirgo's Book Club: Venus Envy"

 

You got something to add?