Sunday, February 25, 2007

Tennis Tournament: 2/24/2007

The weather yesterday was absolutely horrible for tennis play. The were winds in excess of 50 mph here in Dallas and it make serving and play difficult. On top of that ... there was a huge dust storm caused by the winds. I have seen any like it. There was so much dust that it blocked out the sun on a clear day. It was one of those "is the world going to end?" events.

But I managed to overcome adversity.

Match 1: I won 6-3, 6-2

The guy I played was okay but it was hard to tell because of the wind.

Match 2: I won 6-0, 6-2

The wind really picked up during this match. But the wind wasn't the big distraction on the court. My opponent, who was a nice guy, chose not to wear underwear underneath his thin dri-fit shorts. I mean you could see everything. His arse wobbling, and the outline of his ... ahem ... frontal area. Who plays tennis without underwear?

Match 3: I won 7-6 (tiebreaker 7-3), 6-3

At this point sky was covered with dust and the sun was turned into a spotlight highlighting this final match. My opponent had only been playing for 1.5 years but he is one of those young athletic guys who will chase everything down ... and he did. I was not comfortable with my play with the high winds and the dust. Each side of the court had different conditions. One side the wind was coming at your face and you had to hit the ball a bit hard, the other side the wind was your back and you had to hit the ball bit softer or use more topspin to keep the ball in play.

The first set I could not get the ball past him because he would approach the net and the wind made lobbing really difficult. I had to step up my serve game and create shot that would cause him to force an error. I was up 5-4 and serving for the set when I got broken and end up losing the next two games. I was down 6-5 and I managed to break his serve and won the tie break.

Second set was just like the first but my opponent was making more errors. I was up 5-2 serving for match and I lost my serve to go bring the game to 5-3. I was down 30-love on his serve before I managed win the next three points. My opponent hit the ball wide, which gave me the win. It was a battle and it showed me what my weaknesses are which I will have to address before Austin.



So here is another trophy to added to the two that I already have.

Labels:

Comments on "Tennis Tournament: 2/24/2007"

 

Blogger Paul said ... (February 26, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM CST) : 

Congatulations! That's terrific!

 

You got something to add?